Need basic simple information first then if they want to learn more they can scroll down.
Must have a state-issued permit or temporary license.
Students With ADHD
LIFE Driving Academy is certificated with Behind the Wheel With ADHD! Experience with University of Michigan Neurological Research Center lead LDA to have a program designed special for teens with ADHD. Teens with ADHD are not just another student to us!
- Parent meeting to walk through the specialized program.
- Before driving students will complete all classroom training.
- Teen will complete 10, 18 hours of Behind-the-Wheel specialized training. That is twice the State requirement.
- We have several Private Lesson packages that will suit your needs. See Pricing
- (Look at Top Driver PDF File)
The Webinar Modules
Behind the Wheel with ADHD is presented in 3 modules, lasting 50 minutes each.
MODULE 1 – FOUNDATIONS
Learn why your ADHD teen faces serious risks in driver safety not encountered by his/her peers. While many driving skills are thought to be acquired naturally for most, we now know that for drivers with ADHD and other executive functioning deficits, these skills need to be integrated into a program that provides specific skills training and creates new cognitive routines. We share what we have learned from the professionals and from ongoing research.
MODULE 2 – PARENTING STRATEGIES FOR NOVICE TEEN DRIVERS WITH ADHD
In this module we offer specific information on the most serious challenges to driving skill and traffic safety encountered by teens who have ADHD or other learning differences. We offer tools, strategies, and recommendations on how you as parents can coach your teen through this important training experience and keep them safe behind the wheel.
MODULE 3 – RECOMMENDATIONS AND RESOURCES FROM THE PROFESSIONALS
Finally, we offer you an in-depth presentation of useful resources and recommendations from professionals parents can use to help implement the strategies we suggest for enhancing the driver training experience for novice teen drivers with ADHD. We include take-aways for the important documents / templates that we recommend and professionals use.
Professional driving assessments can be done for anyone but we are going to focus primarily on senior citizens. Because you want to be a safe driver as long as possible, consider getting a professional driving assessment. Your driving performance should be assessed regularly.
- How do you know when it’s time for your loved one to limit or stop driving?
- Consider getting a comprehensive driving skills evaluation or clinical driving assessment if:
- You are concerned that your driving skills may have diminished over time.
- You have concerns regarding results of informal self-assessments, such as Drivers 65 Plus.
- You have been diagnosed with a medical condition known to impact driving ability (e.g., impaired vision, dementia, diabetes, seizures, sleep disorders, stroke).
- You have experienced a recent increase in near misses or minor crashes (fender benders).
- Friends and/or family have suggested that you may not be fit to drive.
- Conducted by state-licensed and trained driving instructors, in-car driving skills evaluations can provide a relatively quick and inexpensive checkup. Results may:
- Show that your driving skills are adequate and current, with no need for specialized drivers’ training.
- Reveal deficits that could be addressed with specialized drivers’ training.
- Lead to a recommendation for a clinical driving assessment by an occupational therapist driving rehabilitation specialist (OT-DRS).
- Clinical assessments by trained specialists are the best way to learn the true level and cause of a decline in driving health. In some cases, getting a clinical driving assessment can help you to decide if you should continue to drive and if so, under which conditions. Results may:
- Show you are perfectly fit to drive without restrictions.
- Indicate you would benefit from extra training or need special adaptive vehicle equipment.
- Reveal that you are no longer safe to operate a motor vehicle.